Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Greedy for Unjust Gain

Ezekiel 33:31-32 "My people come to you, as they usually do, and sit before you to listen to your words, but they do not put them into practice. With their mouths they express devotion, but their hearts are greedy for unjust gain. Indeed, to them you are nothing more than one who sings love songs with a beautiful voice and plays an instrument well, for they hear your words but do not put them into practice."

I have decided to join our church during their week long time of prayer and fasting. Yes, this means I may only be fasting for two days, but still, it's two days devoted to searching and listening to God. Last night during our meeting a pastor shared Ezekiel 33:31, which talks about believers who hear the word, but then never do it. They confess with their mouth they are Christians, but never really act on it. This alone was very convicting to me. I thought gosh, I have really slipped from the higher level of action I once had in my Christian walk. Now I am content to do my devotionals, go to church, listen to my Christian radio, and feel quite good about myself and my walk with God. But when I really stopped to examine the evidence of that walk- sadly it was pretty bleak. When was the last time I really shared my hope of living with someone else? When was the last time I ever even mentioned I go to church to anyone who isn't a Christian? Heck, why haven't I invited either of my neighbors to church, especially now that we have a new one starting in our very neighborhood?

This filled me with a desire and a passion to have that passion and fire reignited. I really prayed for the Holy Spirit to come and light the fire again and give me the strength, the boldness, and the sensitivity to see his devine appointments and reach out to others around me.

*Well gosh, that sounds all perfect and good right?*

Well, today I actually started the fast. I thought okay, if I'm going to do this, I'm jumping in with both feet. I really want to hear from the Lord. So during my lunch time at work I decided to spend the time doing a little devotional. I really didn't know where to start, but I felt a tugging to re-examine the scripture that started all of this in the first place. So I pulled up Exk 33:31 on my handy little iPhone (yes, I'm that addicted) and I reread the verse. However, this time, God wasn't speaking so much to the doing part, but the the "hearts greedy for unjust gain" part.

Initially I was like, "God, why are you pointing this part out to me? I'm not a greedy person." But then in that wonderful loving way that God has to simply politely listen and then show me what really is going on, He touched my heart to really examine that idea.

I may not be a penny-pinching tightwad that strives and strives to earn more and more money. I don't hold back when I see a need or when it comes to giving. But God has a way of digging deeper. How about those times when I misclassify things on my time-card, is that greedy? What about the times I've simply rationalized why I shouldn't do something or give a hand- is that really greed sneeking up? And when I got right down to it, I thought, you know I really am more greedy than I thought.

So now not only is God working on relighting my passion, but He's setting out the sweep away all the dust that was covering the wick in the first place.

No comments: